Friday, April 27, 2012

The Eating Experiment... and the Organic List.

A couple of weeks ago, Ian and I underwent a food experiment: we cut out all processed foods and red meat/chicken from our diet. I have been having stomach issues for awhile now, and have been taking acid reflux medicine for it. This was an effort to see if a change in what I ate affected how I feel... well BIG surprise... of course it did! Now, just as a side note: I wasn't eating terribly before this, I consider my diet to usually be average-American (not obese, average!)... casseroles, spaghetti and meatballs, hamburgers, that sort of thing. I think everyone knows there's a lot of crap in the food we buy at the grocery store... but everyone just chooses to live with it for convenience sake. Apparently, my body has been protesting, because since the experiment, I've gone 3 weeks without medicine and felt fine! 

So what have I learned from all of this, you ask? Certain things are worth the extra time and extra dimes to buy organic and make from scratch, other things not so much. For example, here is a list of produce you should try to buy organic vs. it doesn't matter (from http://www.organic.org/articles/showarticle/article-214).

12 Most Contaminated by Pesticides (buy Organic!
  • Peaches
  • Apples
  • Sweet Bell Peppers
  • Celery
  • Nectarines
  • Strawberries
  • Cherries
  • Pears
  • Grapes (Imported)
  • Spinach
  • Lettuce
  • Potatoes
 
12 Least Contaminated by Pesticides (don't worry about it!)
  • Onions
  • Avocado
  • Sweet Corn (Frozen)
  • Pineapples
  • Mango
  • Asparagus
  • Sweet Peas (Frozen)
  • Kiwi Fruit
  • Bananas
  • Cabbage
  • Broccoli
  • Papaya
So... I will be posting some of my favorite recipes from our week of experimenting... our menu was: 

Broiled Tilapia
Salmon Burgers
Walnut and Asparagas Risotto
Quick Veggie Soup
Mexican Bean Salad
Sweet Potato Quesadillas

No comments:

Post a Comment